Monday, September 29, 2008

I Love....ME?

Rapping and Blogging, in many ways walk hand in hand.  As Josh Levin states, rapping and blogging are easy ways to communicate with a vast number of people, in a relatively quick manner.  There is a major disagreement that I have with Josh in his article "Rappers and Bloggers, Separated at Birth." In his article he states that rappers and bloggers and obsessed with themselves and their culture.  Well, I many ways I will agree with Josh about his thought on rappers and bloggers being obsessed with ourselves.  But my question for him is, "Isn't everybody a little obsessed with themselves."  We all love to tell stories about ourselves.  We love to be with our friends and hear about their weekends or their relationships.  No one wants to live in a cave by themselves and not talk to anybody.  It's perfectly OK to talk about yourself and state your accomplishments.  If your not going to tell anyone about the success you have in your life than, who will?  But I also believe there needs to be a balance of yourself with humbleness.  I know, sometimes it is hard for many people to understand, but the would doesn't revolve around us!  The Earth was here before us and it will be here long after we're gone!

When looking at cultural narcissism, I have to ask myself is this really a bad thing.  A personal philosophy of mine is when people are proud of something they will fight for it and try to preserve it to the best of their abilities.  So, when saying that rapping and blogging creates a supremacy felling over others, I don't believe that is true.  Just as Japanese people are proud of Japan, Americans are proud of America and the ideals behind it.  Like I stated earlier, it makes people proud of what they have.

So to say that blogging and rapping create narcissism for self and culture, may be a very true statement. But then to say that is a completely bad thing, I would have to disagree!

1 comment:

Ms. Brown said...

Very clear and insightful! I agree that there's a great value in this kind of sharing as long as we don't allow it to consume us.