Monday, December 1, 2008

W131-In a nutshell

Wow...to think that this semester is going to be ending in a few short days is difficult for me to fathom.  While it seemed like just yesterday I walked into our W131 class.  After dropping a more rigorous honors course, I wasn't sure what to expect when I came to this new class.

I will never forget this class because the first day when I came to class everyone was talking and laughing together.  This is not a bad thing but in my other classes it just didn't happen.  It broke the "awkward ice" that existed in my other classes.   Then there was Wayne in the front of class welcoming everyone!!!!  

From there the class only got more interesting.  I remember when Ms. Brown gave us an assignment to create a blog;  I thought that this lady is going to be a cool teacher.  The dynamics of the class were unlike any other class.  We would sit in a circle and talk about our writings and have class discussions on how to improve our piece.  I enjoyed the encouragement that I got from other students as well as the criticism that was offered.  

Another funny thing about this class was the size.  When we first started the semester it seemed like every seat in the room was full.  Now as we close the semester of Fall 08, we are lucky to have 15 students attend class.  This presented a new element to the class, because the people that came wanted to be there and therefore allowed student to enjoy class more.  It was also a neat way to build relationships.  This way especially true during our debates.  Because of the low numbers we were able to spend more time helping one another and build stronger arguments.  With more students I don't know how successful that would have been.

We saw dynamics change, relationships form, encouragement take place and all this was done in one short semester.  This semester flew by and it is hard to imagine this semester coming to an end.  But like the english proverb says "All good things must come to an end."

1 comment:

Ms. Brown said...

Great writing and insightful reflection here! I understand about the class size; ideally, every writing course would have only about 10 students.